Book Title: Balancing the Equation: A Guide to School Mathematics for Educators and Parents (Contexts for Effective Student Learning)
Publisher: Solution Tree
Author: Timothy D. Kanold
Copublished with the National Council of Teachers of Mathematics, this book focuses on individuals involved in K-12 mathematics education who seek to help children achieve success. The authors tackle popular misconceptions and misguided discourse about mathematics education and draw on peer-reviewed research about instruction that can significantly improve students' conceptual understanding.
- Explore reasons why expectations for mathematics teaching and learning must be raised.
- Study the history of the progression, changes, and disputes in K-12 mathematics education.
- Discover insights about mathematics education in an era of mathematics reform.
- Define mathematical literacy and what elements are part of effective mathematics instruction.
- Learn the steps that must be taken to support the teaching and learning of mathematics, so all students can be college and career ready.
1. Why Mathematics Education Needs to Improve
2. A Brief History of Mathematics Education: Lessons to Learn
3. The Common Core Mathematics Debate
4. The Equilibrium Position and Effective Mathematics Instruction
5. How to Help Your Child Learn Mathematics
Epilogue: Conclusion and Action Steps for Educators and Parents
Appendix: Additional Resources for ParentsCategories:
Math Teaching Materials, Educational Certification and Development, Mathematics Study and Teaching